Reminiscent of the stately old manors and chateaus scattered throughout the French countryside dating to the 1600's and the reign of Louis XIV, this magnificent estate rests on 4.4 beautifully landscaped and wooded acres, surrounded by rolling pastures.
Impeccably built by Orren Pickell in 2000 and richly appointed, this residence satisfies today's discriminating tastes, featuring a contemporary floor plan, soaring ceilings, numerous and expansive rooms and high-end amenities, reflecting an elegant European influence and gracious living. The stone and stucco exterior, dormer windows, multiple chimneys, fireplaces, brick paver driveway, courtyard and porte cochère all evoke its French heritage.
With superior craftsmanship and outstanding finishes throughout, the residence presents tumbled marble and gleaming walnut hardwood flooring, soaring tray and coffered ceilings, superb millwork, custom cabinetry and built-ins, luxurious baths with heated floors, four fireplaces, Smart House technology, and more …
The residence is entered through a massive walnut door, to a tumbled marble foyer, the graceful staircase sweeping up to the left and leading down to the lower level. The elegant master bedroom suite and handsome walnut-finished library grace this wing of the home. The grand living room faces the front entrance, a marble fireplace with massive soaring walnut mantel surround flanked by custom walnut shelving its focal point, the classic dining room to the right. Moving on, the south wing presents the gourmet's kitchen with its ample center island, Aga stove and high-end appliances, a cozy sitting/family room with French doors to a wonderful 3-season room, and a breakfast room, a multi-view fireplace servicing both. A convenient family work area with desk, custom shelving and cabinets and the laundry room complete this side of the residence, with a second walnut staircase leading to the lower level. Soaring windows finish the front façade of the residence on this floor, flooding it with sunlight.
The second floor offers a gallery overlooking the foyer and living room and presents three additional bedrooms, each with attractive bathrooms en suite, one of these bedrooms functioning as a second master, the other channeling the home's French tradition with its lovely toile finishes, and the third showcasing a marvelous mural. A substantial bonus room is also a part of this floor, lending itself conveniently to either a play area or a private fourth bedroom, sporting its own access to the garage via a circular staircase.
Accessed by two open staircases, the exceptional lower level boasts custom high ceilings, heated floors: stone and plush carpeting, and offers three considerable recreation areas: a family room with an inviting fireplace, a billiard room, and a play room. In addition, a fully equipped kitchen with an eating area, an exercise room which can easily be converted to an additional bedroom, a cigar room and temperature-controlled wine cellar also augment this level. The entire length of the lower level opens directly onto the gardens beyond, each of the main rooms either accessed by patio doors or offering stunning views through expansive windows.
The professionally designed award-winning landscaping and hardscapes enhance the property, blue stone walkways leading to the house, brick pavers gracing the circular drive, the side apron and inner courtyard accessed through the porte cochère. The fully-equipped guest house adjoins the porte cochère, and opens onto the award-winning pool and spa.
This 7947 sq. ft. luxurious residence features 17 rooms, 5 bedrooms, 6 full baths, 3 half baths, 4 fireplaces, a 3-car garage, 4.4 acres.
Exterior of Residence
• Orren Pickell custom built French Provincial residence set on 4.4 wooded acres
• Stone and synthetic stucco exterior with cedar shake shingled roof
• Circular driveway with side drive to porte cochère leading to rear courtyard
• Bluestone front walkway, remaining hardscapes brick paver: porte cochère, rear courtyard and patios
• 3-car garage
• Award-winning professionally landscaped gardens by James Martin
• Award-winning Downes swimming pool, spa
• Fully equipped guest house with kitchen
• Naturescape sprinkler system
Interior of Residence
• Crestron Smart House by Paul Heath: includes lighting, HVAC, audio and security.
• Walnut entrance door
• Superb finishes, appointments and attention to detail throughout
• Tumbled marble foyer
• Walnut hardwood flooring throughout 1st and 2nd floors
• Double crown & baseboard trim moldings
• Custom cabinetry and Old World craftsmanship throughout
• Custom Pella windows and patio doors
• Baldwin door hardware throughout
• Sweeping walnut hardwood staircase to gallery overlooking living room and foyer
• Vaulted trayed and coffered ceilings, customized higher than standard throughout house, including lower level
• Library: walnut paneling, cabinetry, wainscot, chair rail, upholstered walls
• Four fireplaces, wood-burning stove
• Gourmet's Kitchen
• Laundry room, 1st floor
• Master bedroom suite, 1st floor, with deck/stairs leading to gardens
• All bedrooms with custom baths en suite, floors heated
• 2 open staircases to full finished English lower level
• Guest House
• 4 zones: heating & air conditioning
• 4 humidifiers
• Dual hot water heaters and boiler
• Dual sump pumps, two w/injector/battery backup
• 600 amp service
|Room Count||17 rooms, 5 beds, 6.3 baths|
|Taxes||$36,252 for 2011|
Located 35 miles from Chicago, Mettawa residents enjoy a country atmosphere and natural beauty. Home sites are typically 5 acre parcels of meadows and woods. With close proximity to Lake County Forest Preserve areas and the Des Plaines River, outstanding recreational opportunities abound. A number of equestrian trails and centers make this community particularly appealing to those interested in horse properties.
Transportation options include Route 60, Interstate 94 and St. Mary's Road. The Lake Forest West Metra train station is also a short distance away.
Several public school districts surround the village. Teens attend Adlai E. Stevenson High School or Libertyville High School.